Deputy Chairman: P J Kurien
Leader of the House : Arun Jaitley
Leader of the Opposition : Gulam Nabi Azad
Rajya Sabha Secretary General: Desh Deepak Verma
- The Rajya Sabha or Council of States is the upper house of the Parliament of India.
- The Rajya sabha is known as the permanent house of the parliament.
- Rajya Sabha consists of maximum of 250 members.(Article 80)
- 238 are to be indirectly elected by state and territorial legislatures , while the President of India can appoint 12 members for their contributions to art, literature, science, and social services
- The minimum age for a person to become a member of Rajya Sabha is 30 years.
- Each member is elected for a term of six years.
- The Vice President of India is the ex-officio Chairman of Rajya Sabha.
- Rajya Sabha Television (RSTV) is a 24x7 parliamentary TV channel fully owned and operated by the Rajya Sabha.
- If Lok Sabha passed a Money Bill, and transmitted it to Rajya Sabha, Rajya Sabha has only fourteen days to return the bill (with or without amendments) to Lok Sabha.
- The senior most Minister, who is a member of Rajya Sabha, is appointed by the Prime Minister as Leader of the House.
- In the case of Constitution Amendment Bill, the bill has to be approved by two-third members in the Rajya Sabha.
Joint sitting of Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha
The joint sitting of the Parliament is called by the President and is presided over by the Speaker or, in his absence, by the Deputy Speaker of the Lok Sabha or in his absence, the Deputy-Chairman of the Rajya Sabha.
1961: Dowry Prohibition Act, 1958
1978: Banking Services Commission (Repeal) Act, 1977
2002: Prevention of Terrorism Act, 2002
Important Questions and Answers about Rajya Sabha
Who is the chairman of Rajya Sabha?
Ans: Vice President of India.
Who was the first Chairman of Rajya Sabha?
Ans: Dr. S. Radhakrishnan.
Who was the first woman to preside over the Rajya Sabha?
Ans: Violet Alva
(Violet Alva was the first woman Deputy Chairperson of the Rajya Sabha)
Who was the first woman nominated member of the Rajya Sabha?
Ans: Smt. Rukmini Devi Arundale .
What is the maximumn strength of Rajya Sabha?
Ans: 250 of which 238 are to be elected and 12 are to be nominated by the President of India.
How many members can be appointed to Rajya Sabha by the President?
Who was the first Deputy Chairman of Rajya Sabha?
Ans: Shri S.V.Krishnamoorthy Rao
Why is Rajya Sabha called a permanent body?
Ans: Rajya Sabha is not subject to dissolution; as nearly as possible, one-third of its members retire every second year.
When was the Council of States (Rajya Sabha) first constituted?
Ans: On 3 April 1952.
Who presides over the joint session of Indian Parliament
Ans: Speaker of Lok sabha
When was the first Sitting of Rajya Sabha?
Ans: 13 May 1952
Which state has maximum number of seats in Rajya Sabha?
Ans: Uttar Pradesh
Which Union territories have elected members in Rajya Sabha?
Ans: Delhi and Puducherry (3 from Delhi and 1 from Puducherry).
When was the Council of States named as Rajya Sabha in Hindi?
Ans: 23 August 1954.
First Secretary General of Rajya Sabha?
Ans: S.N. Mukherjee
First woman Secretary General of Rajya Sabha?
Ans: M N Kaul