Current Chairman of RajyaSabha: Hamid Ansari
Deputy Chairman: P J Kurien
Leader of the House : Arun Jaitley
Leader of the Opposition : Gulam Nabi Azad
- The Rajya Sabha or Council of States is the upper house of the Parliament of India.
- The Rajya sabha is known as the permanent house of the parliament.
- Rajya Sabha consists of maximum of 250 members.
- 238 are to be indirectly elected by state and territorial legislatures , while the President of India can appoint 12 members for their contributions to art, literature, science, and social services
- The minimum age for a person to become a member of Rajya Sabha is 30 years.
- Each member is elected for a term of six years.
- The Vice President of India is the ex-officio Chairman of Rajya Sabha.
- Rajya Sabha Television (RSTV) is a 24x7 parliamentary TV channel fully owned and operated by the Rajya Sabha.
- If Lok Sabha passed a Money Bill, and transmitted it to Rajya Sabha, Rajya Sabha has only fourteen days to return the bill (with or without amendments) to Lok Sabha.
- The senior most Minister, who is a member of Rajya Sabha, is appointed by the Prime Minister as Leader of the House.
- In the case of Constitution Amendment Bill, the bill has to be approved by two-third members in the Rajya Sabha.
Important Questions and Answers about Rajya Sabha
Who is the chairman of Rajya Sabha?
Ans: Vice President of India.
Who was the first Chairman of Rajya Sabha?
Ans: Dr. S. Radhakrishnan.
Who was the first woman to preside over the Rajya Sabha?
Ans: Violet Alva
Who was the first woman nominated member of the Rajya Sabha?
Ans: Smt. Rukmini Devi Arundale .
What is the maximumn strength of Rajya Sabha?
Ans: 250 of which 238 are to be elected and 12 are to be nominated by the President of India.
How many members can be appointed to Rajya Sabha by the President?
Who was the first Deputy Chairman of Rajya Sabha?
Ans: Shri S.V.Krishnamoorthy Rao
Why is Rajya Sabha called a permanent body?
Ans: Rajya Sabha is not subject to dissolution; as nearly as possible, one-third of its members retire every second year.
When was the Council of States (Rajya Sabha) first constituted?
Ans: On 3 April 1952.
Who presides over the joint session of Indian Parliament?
Ans: Speaker of Lok sabha