Rajagopalachari was born in the village of Thorapalli in the Krishnagiri district of the Madras Presidency .
- When Gandhi organised the Dandi march in 1930, Rajagopalachari broke the salt laws at Vedaranyam, near Nagapattinam in Tamil Nadu.
- In 1946, Rajagopalachari was appointed Minister of Industry, Supply, Education and Finance in the Interim Government of India
- Then he was the Governor of West Bengal from 1947 to 1948.
- Governor-General of India from 1948 to 1950
- C. Rajagopalachari's formula (or C. R. formula or Rajaji formula) was a proposal formulated by Chakravarthi Rajagopalachari to solve the political deadlock between the All India Muslim League and Indian National Congress on independence of India from the British.
- He founded Swatantra Party