- First state in India to launch Panchyati Raj is Rajastan on October 2, 1959.
- The first South Indian State to start Panchayat Raj System is Andhra Pradesh in 1959.
- On 24 April 1993, 73rd Amendment Act 1992 came into force to provide constitutional status to the Panchayati Raj institutions in India.
- The Amendment Act has added part IX to the Constitution of India entitled as ‘Panchayats’.
- The Eleventh Schedule to the Constitution of India contains provision to Panchayats added by 73rd Amendment,
- Architect of Panchyati Raj - Belwant Rai Mehta
- The first state to conduct elections of Panchayat Raj institutions after the 73rd amendment is Madhya Pradesh.
- The first state to introduce compulsory voting to Panchayat Raj Instititutions is Gujarat.
- Kerala Panchayat Raj Act -1994
- Formerly Panchayat Day was observed on the birthday of Belwant Rai Mehta (February 19). Now National Panchayati Raj Day (National Local Self-Government day) is observed on April 24.
- The states without Panchayati Raj Institutions are Nagaland, Meghalaya and Mizoram and the Union Territory without the same is Delhi.
The 3-tier system of Panchayati Raj consists of:
1. Village-level Panchayats
2. Block-level Panchayats
3. District-level Panchayats.
Various Committees on Panchayati Raj
Balwant Rai Mehta : 1957
V.T.Krishnammachari : 1960
Takhatmal Jain Study Group: 1966
Ashok Mehta Committee : 1977
G.V.K Rao committee :1985